Tuesday, November 6, 2012

The Final Countdown: A Look At Why The Presedential Choice Is Clear [Politics]


Doesn't the above picture say it all about Mitt Romney?  With the Univision logo in the background, the former Governor perches himself on stool in front of a Latino audience; his face a shade of brown and his hands a shade off white.  That would rule out him just returning from vacation in Acapulco, unless he brought gloves to the beach.  Hell, I would have respected him more if he hit the tanning booth real hard before the appearance.  But no, he darkened his face to appear more "ethnic" to his much needed potential Latino voters, which is just taking the lazy route if you ask me.  The Snooki facial makeover was more than a political miscue...to me this has Ted Danson 1993 black face at The Friars Club written all over it.  It seems as if Romney is willing to do anything to get into office.  While in many other professions one would have to admire the extent to which Romney is willing to go in order to win, this is not an admirable quality in a Commander-In-Chief.

It's hard to imagine how any woman, Black or Latino voter would cast their ballot for Mitt Romney.  Romney has failed to deliver a definite stance on the issue of equal pay to women workers and has he has made it clear that as president, the federal funding would end for abortion advocates such as Planned Parenthood.  Also, he would appoint court justices to repeal Roe V. Wade.  How nice...way to prioritize, chief.  Black support for Romney is at 0 percent.  Former New Hampshire Governor John Sununu would like to believe that like Colin Powell, black people support Barack Obama because he is Black.  Well that's weird because in 2008 John McCain received 4 percent of the Black vote with George W. Bush earning 11 percent in 2004 and 8 percent in 2000.  I guess actual politics have something to do with it.  It's comments like the previous from Sununu about Colin Powell, and his labeling Obama as "lazy" after his first debate and former Governor Sarah Palin's "shuck and jive" remark that have completely alienated the Black vote.  We feel as if many republicans holding office probably refer to Blacks as niggers to their friends when the cameras are not running.  We feel that many republicans are probably racist...yeah I said it.  Take a look at the republican party.  The lack of racial diversity doesn't exactly fight off that assertion.  It really doesn't help that Romney, through all of his different personas, will not relieve tax pressure on the working class, which also brings me to the Latino vote.  Issues on economy and immigration have driven Latino voters to support our President in record numbers, according to the polls.  73 percent of Latino voters plan on casting their vote for Obama, with 24 percent going to Romney and 3 percent undecided.  These three groups make up a large part of America; I guess Romney will have to triple down on the White vote.

The above pictured Romney provides an excellent metaphor for what the former Governor stands for, if anything at all.  He's dark on one side, and light on the other.  Again that's weird, because that's how I like my eggs, not my presidential candidates.  He has an established history of flip flopping, so much so that I think NBA commissioner David Stern issued one of the first flopping warnings to the Detroit native.  Romney's antics and statements has made for good comedy, so I thought it'd be fun to look at some of his less publicized flip flops:

Flip: This is a completely airtight kennel mounted on the top of our car.
Flop: They're not happy that my dog loves fresh air.

 Flip: I'm not trying to return to Reagan-Bush.
Flop: Ronald Reagan is one of my heroes.

Flip: It was not my desire to go off and serve in Vietnam.
Flop: I longed in many respects to actually be in Vietnam and be representing our country there.

Flip: I will work and fight for stem cell research.
Flop: In the end, I became persuaded that the stem-cell debate was grounded in a false premise.

Flip: I saw my father march with Martin Luther King.
Flop: I did not see it with my own eyes.

Flip: Roe v. Wade has gone too far.
Flop: I believe that since Roe v. Wade has been the law for 20 years we should sustain and support it. 

Flip: I respect and will protect a woman's right to choose.
Flop: I never really called myself pro-choice. 

Oh Romney, you kill me with that one!  As of yesterday, the national polls show that the race is close, but President Obama has the lead, including taking the advantage in a critical battleground state Ohio.  Polls for Florida show it will come down to the wire, while Obama maintains the edge in the electoral college.  One thing I find to be interesting is that in both Michigan, where Romney is from, and Massachusetts, where Romney Governed, Obama is winning the electoral vote.  The two states where people would seem to know Mitt Romney best or at least where people would have an allegiance with, are voting for Obama.  That should really say something about the man Mitt Romney is.  Take a look at the two candidates, what they represent, and make an informed decision for yourself today.  I haven't even said anything here to support Obama, and still I believe the choice is clear.  I think America is more interested in hope and moving forward than ever, but still I will be carrying a nervousness into tonight's tally-a-thon.  I now bid you adieu to carry out your civic duty; just know that my future residency in this country depends on your vote.  I mean, seriously - I know I threatened this in 2000, but I will move to Canada if I have to. 

Related Articles:

No comments:

Post a Comment